Healthy teeth and gums will help prevent a lot of diseases and health conditions. Sadly, not every individual is determined to take their oral health seriously. People deliberately skip their regular dental check-ups, consider taking OTC medicines over dental clinic visits, and replace treatments with home remedies. As a result, they suffer from severe dental conditions such as tooth decay, gingivitis, periodontal diseases, and oral cancer.
The motive behind writing this blog is to educate people on how to take care of their mouths and teeth and maintain a healthy smile lifelong.
How to prevent tooth decay?
- Brush and floss your teeth twice a day.
- Do not ignore your tongue. Clean it using a tongue cleaner.
- Use fluoride toothpaste to protect your enamel (the outer coating of the teeth)
- For dry mouth, consult our dentist in Wakad to suggest efficacious treatment and medicines.
- Regular dental check up once in 6 month
How to prevent gum disease?
- Use fluoride toothpaste to brush and floss twice daily.
- Never skip flossing
- Eat healthy food
- Avoid drinking excess coffee, tea, or carbonated drinks,sticky foods.
- Quit smoking, as it weakens the gum tissues and increases the risk of gum disease
How to prevent dry mouth?
Dry mouth can make it difficult for you to eat, drink, talk, or swallow food. Here are a few things you can do to avoid dry mouth:
- Drink plenty of water
- Switch to more of sugarless drinks
- Quit smoking
- Avoid drinking alcohol
- Spicy and salty foods should be consumed less.
- Avoid Caffeine, soft drinks, and acidic fruit juices consumption.
How to prevent oral cancer?
Oral cancer may start from any part of the mouth, throat, and tongue. People above the age of 40 with poor dental hygiene are at higher risk of developing oral cancer. A regular dental check-up is the best way to monitor the symptoms and diagnose cancer early. Here are a few things you should follow to prevent the risk of causing oral cancer:
- Do not consume tobacco products such as cigarettes, snuffs, pipes, and cigars.
- Avoid drinking alcohol, or drink in a moderate amount.
- Use lip balms or moisturizer on your lips to avoid direct exposure to UV-rays.
How to brush and floss like a pro?
You may be brushing your teeth daily and still be doing it wrong. Check these steps to find out whether you are brushing or flossing your teeth correctly:
- Take a soft-bristle toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Gently brush the teeth in a circular motion.
- Replace your toothbrush after every 1-2 months
- Carefully move back-and-forth around the gum lines
- Use dental floss or water flosser to remove plaque and food leftovers stuck between the teeth.
Note: People who have arthritis or orthopaedic conditions can opt for an electric toothbrush or toothbrush with large handles.
City Dental Care has the best oral surgeon in Wakad, and our team has vowed to help people understand the importance of maintaining good oral hygiene. Therefore, we offer all kinds of dental treatments and surgeries under one roof. To learn more about our treatments, you can book an appointment today.